Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tote bag I made for my mom

Mom's tote bag






This year I realized that I have never really sewed anything for my mother even though she was the one who bought my sewing machine and serger for me because she knew I wanted to learn to sew.

I thought for a long while about what to make for her. I finally came up with a plan. Every time mom comes to my house she needs to bring stuff with her and brings several small grocery bags just to carry her stuff. I thought what if I could make it easier for her and make a large tote she could carry her stuff in.








So I made a lined tote for her.  I chose a neutral fabric for the outside so she could use it to carry anything she wants inside it.  I selected a cute fabric with the boats and lighthouses for the inside because she loves getting out on the boats at the Lake in the summers.  This was the closest nautical fabric I could find to what I was thinking of for the lining fabric.   With the aid of my serger and sewing machine I transformed this fabric into a tote bag for mom to carry everything in.  I think it is the perfect size to pack full but not be too big to pack too heavy.  I have never made anything like this and learned a lot about how to make cute totes that I can give as gifts.  Not only did I learn more about how to use my machines, I also learned about a secret to make the fabric stand upright.   I am just getting a chance to post it although I finished it back in November because I wanted it to be a complete surprise for Christmas. It was so difficult not telling her what I was working on.  Hopefully, she will love it.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
blogger template by arcane palette